This Privacy Statement is published in the interests of meeting our obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The aim of this Statement is to communicate to those parties (data subjects) who share their personal data with Dental Specialists Windsor that we aim to:1. Process your data in a lawful and transparent manner.
2. Collect your data for a specified, explicit and legitimate purpose.
3. Collect personal data which is adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it is processed.
4. Ensure the data you share with us is accurate and where you inform us of errors or amendments, take reasonable steps to update your records in a timely and efficient manner.
5. Ensure reasonable, proportionate and appropriate security of your personal data.
Data Purpose and Lawful Basis
As a patient of Dental Specialists Windsor, we will need to collect and process certain personal information about you, in order to enable us to provide you with dental treatment and to fulfil the terms of business which will cover that treatment. Our lawful basis for processing your data will be Contract.
Personal Data Collected
We will collect personal data as follows:
- Contact details: email address / telephone numbers
- Next of Kin
- Information regarding your medical history necessary to provide treatment
- Information about the treatment you receive whilst under our care.
If you require further information about cookies, the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) have a useful resource called what is a cookie?
The personal data we collect about our patients is solely for the purpose of providing them with dental care.
Aside from email communications between our patients, as well as any referring medical professionals, which are stored and secured by Blue Horizons Ltd, Dental Specialists Windsor stores patient records using a manual paper-based system. This is secured in locked filing cabinets, in secured premises and only accessed by practice staff.
In accordance with guidance issued to the NHS, which in the absence of any other professional or regulatory guidance is considered best practice, your personal data will be retained for a period of 10 years after your final treatment with Dental Specialists Windsor. This is in case we or our patients need to reference the treatment received from us at some future point.
Under GDPR you (the data subjects / patient) have rights, which you can exercise in relation to the information we hold about you. This privacy notice outlines what information we collect about you and for what purpose. In addition, you have the right to access the information we hold about you, as well as a right to require any inaccuracies be rectified or any incomplete records completed. Any such requests or amendments should be addressed in writing to Dr. Pritlove-Carson and addressed within a one month period, as required by GDPR. In certain circumstances you also have the right to request the erasure of any data we hold about you, in particular where it can be demonstrated that the original purpose for the data collection no longer applies (this will be balanced with the need to retain your data as described in the paragraph titled Retention, above). Or, it can be demonstrated that we have unlawfully collected your data or are instructed by the courts to erase it.
If you are referred to Dental Specialists Windsor by another medical professional, any decision to share your personal data with us by that third party will be governed by that party’s privacy policies. Once we are processing your personal data we will only share it with:
- The medical professional who referred you, in so far as is necessary for the purposes of your treatment. Or
- Occasionally we may seek an informal second opinion from another dental professional to confirm our prognosis. In such circumstances the information we share will be anonymised as far as possible whilst still achieving the medical purpose.
- If you, (the patient / data subject) require us to share your personal data with any other party, we will specifically request your consent to do this, in writing.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Aside from sharing your data as part of your treatment, Dental Specialists Windsor will only otherwise disclose your personal data where required to by law.
Complaints / Queries
If you have any complaints or questions about our handling of your data, these should, in the first instance, be addressed to Dental Specialists Windsor by email using the following email address (email@example.com) or in writing to the practice’s postal address: Dental Specialists Windsor, 118 St Leonard's Road, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 3DG.
For individuals seeking further information regarding the General Data Protection Regulation we advise consulting the website of the Information Commissioners’ Office as this is the body responsible for regulating the use of data in the UK. (www.ico.org.uk)